The Angela Alioto Law Group has helped many people who have been discriminated against in the workplace.
Our firm provides legal advice and representation to employees across California who have been wrongfully terminated by their employer.
We represent employees who have experienced retaliation after reporting workplace harassment or other violations.
The Law Offices of Mayor Joseph L. Alioto and Angela Alioto P.L.C. is distinguished by its expertise and national recognition in Civil Rights and Employment Law. We successfully represent individuals in the areas of work-place discrimination based on race, age, disability, gender, religion and sexual orientation, as well as harassment, wage/hour, retaliatory discharge, and wrongful termination. We also represent individuals in personal injury, elder abuse, industrial accidents and toxic exposure.
Based on the values and beliefs of Angela Alioto, the Firm has one mission: to deliver justice for our clients. We pride ourselves in the good working relationships we develop with each of our clients.
California and federal law regulate the way employers treat employees in the workplace. California employment law and federal law each provide employees with various legal rights. Our experienced lawyers can help employees determine whether they have a legal right to recovery when they believe their employer has treated them unfairly.
Types of Employment Law include the following:
Discrimination in the workplace is illegal according to both California and Federal laws. Types of discrimination include:
- Discrimination based on race
- Discrimination based on color
- Religious discrimination
- Age Discrimination
- Gender discrimination
- Pregnancy discrimination
- Discrimination based on a disability (mental or physical)
- Discrimination based on national origin
- Discrimination based on ancestry
- Discrimination based on sexual orientation
- Discrimination based on marital status
It is illegal for employers to terminate employees or discipline them unfairly under certain conditions. These conditions include:
- Whistleblower termination
- Termination for refusal to perform an illegal act
Retaliation refers to a prohibited employment action (e.g., termination or discipline) taken against an employee as a result of a his or her participation in a legally protected activity. These legally protected activities inclue:
- filing a discrimination lawsuit
- joining a collective action class action
- giving testimony in a discrimination suit
Sexual Harassment describes an unwelcome sexual advance by an employer or supervisor that represents a threat to the employee's employment or becomes a condition of continued employment. Additionally, such harassment can be classified as a "hostile work environment" when the presence of demeaning or sexual photographs, jokes, threats, or overall atmosphere is so pervasive as to create an intimidating and offensive work environment.
California Employment Law Lawyers
If you need the services of a California employment law attorney, it is important to seek an attorney with experience and an excellent reputation. Contact the Law Offices of Mayor Joseph L. Alioto and Angela Alioto P.L.C. to discuss your employment law or discrimination law issue with a member of our team.
Tell Us AboutYour Case
Fill out a simple form about your situation and we will contact you! Continue
In The News
- San Francisco Jury Finds Andrews International Illegally and Maliciously Called Plaintiff a G-D Terr
- Angela Alioto Takes on Lowe's in Discrimination Case
- Pregnancy Discrimination Case Gains Support
- Ralph Barbieri Press Release
- San Jose will pay $395,000 to two women fire captains to settle gender-bias suit
- Angela Alioto Wins a Harassment Case in Which Her Client Was Called a "terrorist"
- LucasFilm must pay $1.3 Million in Attorney Fees in Discrimination Suit
- Angela Alioto Responds to the Repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell
- Angela Alioto receives the Tau Award from the Franciscan School of Theology in Berkeley
- Angela Alioto Tackles Homeless Problem
- McIntyre, et al. v. Lennar Corporation
- Beverly et al vs. B. R. Funsten / Tom Duffy Company et al
- Valladares, et al. v. Madera Quality Nut, Universal Leaf Tobacco, et al.
- Alioto-Lazio Fish Co. v. San Francisco