Tell Us AboutYour Case
Fill out a simple form about your situation and we will contact you! Continue
In The News
- San Francisco Jury Finds Andrews International Illegally and Maliciously Called Plaintiff a G-D Terr
- Angela Alioto Takes on Lowe's in Discrimination Case
- Pregnancy Discrimination Case Gains Support
- Ralph Barbieri Press Release
- San Jose will pay $395,000 to two women fire captains to settle gender-bias suit
- Angela Alioto Wins a Harassment Case in Which Her Client Was Called a "terrorist"
- LucasFilm must pay $1.3 Million in Attorney Fees in Discrimination Suit
- Angela Alioto Responds to the Repeal of Don't Ask Don't Tell
- Angela Alioto receives the Tau Award from the Franciscan School of Theology in Berkeley
- Angela Alioto Tackles Homeless Problem
- McIntyre, et al. v. Lennar Corporation
- Beverly et al vs. B. R. Funsten / Tom Duffy Company et al
- Valladares, et al. v. Madera Quality Nut, Universal Leaf Tobacco, et al.
- Alioto-Lazio Fish Co. v. San Francisco
Areas of Practice
The Law Offices of Mayor Joseph L. Alioto and Angela Alioto P.L.C. is a San Francsico, California based law firm that handles cases throughout California and Nationwide.
Our firm's one mission is to deliver justice to our clients. We represent individuals in the following practice areas:
Additionally, we represent individuals in cases of
- Personal Injury
- Landlord Breach of Contract
- Elder Abuse
- Industrial Accidents
- Toxic Exposure
More information on each of these areas of practice can be found below and on the Practice Area specific pages of this website.
California and federal law regulate the way employers treat employees in the workplace. California employment law and federal law each provide employees with various legal rights. Examples of types of employment law violations include discrimination in the workplace, harassment at work, retaliation in the workplace & wrongful termination. See below for more information & links to related information on these case types.
Discrimination in the workplace is illegal according to both California and Federal laws. Types of discrimination include:
- Racial Discrimination
- Discrimination based on color
- Religious discrimination
- Age Discrimination
- Gender discrimination
- Pregnancy discrimination
- Disability Discrimination (mental or physical)
- Discrimination based on national origin
- Discrimination based on ancestry
- Discrimination based on sexual orientation
- Discrimination based on marital status
Employers cannot terminate employees or discipline them unfairly under certain conditions. These conditions include:
- Whistleblower termination
- Termination for refusal to perform an illegal act
Retaliation refers to a prohibited employment action (e.g., termination or discipline) taken against an employee as punishment for his or her participation in a legally protected activity. These legally protected activities inclue:
- filing a discrimination lawsuit
- joining a collective action class action
- giving testimony in a discrimination suit
Sexual Harassment describes an unwelcome sexual advance by an employer or supervisor that represents a threat to the employee's employment or becomes a condition of continued employment. Such harassment can be classified as a "hostile work environment" when the presence of demeaning or sexual photographs, threats, jokes, or overall atmosphere is so pervasive as to create an intimidating and offensive work environment.